2017年1月26日星期四

Chinese New Year

Chinese New Year

Traditionally, on the new years eve, Chinese people would get together, have a big dinner, and watch Spring Festival Gala and play fireworks.

But in fact, I even can't remember when is the last time I play fireworks with my pals. It's been over ten years since our family don't play fireworks anymore. And more and more people choose not to due to the environmental reasons and the rising price of fireworks. But we would watch our neighbors play.



The Spring Festival gala on CCTV is getting more and more boring, not because of the quality of the show, but because we are having more way to entertain ourselves, such as watching movies, playing games on the phone, and fight for “Hong Bao (红包)” in wechat groups. In case you don't know what is “Hong Bao", it's an  envelope with money inside. Usually, this activity only goes around between very close friends, so that you know where your money goes, and some day, it may have a chance to come back to you.  And the Spring Festival gala, to attract people to watch it, is giving out "Hong Bao" at some random time during the gala, and those who are watching it can download an App and participant it it. So the sponsors are giving out money to those to watch the Spring Festival Gala to increase the audience rating. Isn't  that sad? But anyway, for our family, we still turn on the TV and play the Spring Festival Gala, since all the local channels are rebroadcasting it, and all the fun shows have stopped for that day.







         

The only thing that never changed is eating. And for north Chinese people, eating dumpling at midnight can never be skipped. At the new years eve, we are supposed to stay up all night. If I accidentally fell asleep at midnight, my parents would wake me up. It has the second priority, just after the "fight for hongbao" I mentioned above.


      



This year, I am in US. I miss my family and the midnight dumplings. And I actually have two quiz on the day of new years eve.

没有评论:

发表评论